When using the “Launch Blog Program to Post” feature in my Office 365 SharePoint Blog I encountered the following error in Microsoft Word.
Word cannot register your account.
To resolve this I needed to do things.
- Download the Desktop Extensions for Office 365. Office 365 uses a custom authentication mechanism which Word by default doesn’t support. Installing the Desktop Extensions enables this support. You can download the extensions from your Office 365 Portal under the downloads section.
- After running the Desktop Extensions in your Start Menu you’ll have a new shortcut for the Office 365 Portal. Open it.
- Under Team Site, select “Word” to create a new Word document.
- This will open a new window where you give the file a name. Provide a name and press “OK”.
- The document will now open in Office Web Apps, but in the ribbon there will be an option to “Open in Word”, select it.
- You’ll now be asked by Microsoft Word to sign into Office 365. Sign in using your credentials.
- Now that you’ve signed in you can just close the document, and go back to your blog and select “Launch blog program to post”
- SharePoint will prompt you to enter the “New SharePoint Blog Account” information, just press OK.
You should now be able to post without any problems.